Saturday, September 22, 2012

"Soup's On!" with KSL News

With Jenn Hardman of KSL News and my Loaded Potato Soup.
I survived my first TV cooking demo!
On Thursday at 5 a.m., when most people are still asleep, I arrived at the KSL studios and met Jenn Hardman, a Features reporter with KSL.  

She had me make four soups from my "Soup's On!" cookbook during two segments - about 7 or 8 minutes total. It's a good thing that the point of my cookbook is soups that are simplified and quick!  I would have been a basket case trying to remember four complicated recipes.  Early morning is not my most alert time of the day.

I made the Zucchini & Bacon Soup — (shown in light green and blue bowl) so very economical this time of year when zucchini are popping up in gardens and on doorsteps everywhere.   

Then I made Harvest Pumpkin Soup, (green bowl) which has a little flavor twist from curry.  Then I could catch my breath for a few minutes and throw all those little glass ingredient bowls in the sink , and bring out the ingredients and pots for the next two soups.

During the 6:30-ish segment, I made Loaded Potato Soup (white and blue bowl), which only takes about 15 minutes when using frozen diced hash browns and ready-cooked bacon pieces. True comfort food - as I said, it's like Funeral Potatoes without the funeral. 

Then I made Quick Tailgate Chili (orange and white bowl). This recipe comes together in 30 minutes, and there's no chopping or peeling involved. But it does have quite a few ingredients — including four different kinds of tomato products. Now it occurs to me that when I developed the recipe, I really should have thought about somehow consolidating the salsa, Ro-Tel tomatoes, diced tomatoes and tomato paste, although each contributes something a little bit different. 

The KSL staff seemed to like the finished soups, so I didn't have to worry about packing up any leftovers to transport home.  Thanks, Jenn, for helping me do the dishes and pack all my glass ingredient bowls up to take home.  I appreciate the opportunity to share my recipes and my book! 

I am scheduled to appear on Studio 5 this Thursday, so stay tuned.  And I only have to do ONE soup! I have no excuses now if I look like a dork! 

I'm also going to sign copies of "Soup's On!" at the Centerville Seagull bookstore (in the strip mall near Target) on  Saturday, Sept. 29, from 9-11 a.m. Hope to see people there! 

No comments: